This week my fashion column chats to MJ Bale creative director Matt Jenson and my East End Girl is spotted on the streets looking fabulous…
Bale Up Matt Jensen Q&A
Hale is an Australian menswear label offering supremely tailored and designed garments. Matt Jensen is the man behind the label, which now has stores at Westfield Bondi Junction and a boutique in Queen St. Woollahra.
1. How long have you been designing fashion? Did you study design?
Since 1997. I didn’t study fashion design. I studied business, majoring in finance and marketing.
2. When did you establish MJ Bale and why?
In 2010. The aim was to provide Australian men with a level of choice that I didn’t believe existed in our market. The goal: to develop products of quality, integrity and provenance, but with an accessible price point.
3. How did you decide on the location in Woollahra?
It was a natural choice launching MJ Bale through a flagship store in Woollahra, given my previous experience in the area. I liked the notion of having a flagship in a community, a suburban neighbourhood, rather than a shopping centre or main street in the city.
4. What are the new collection’s key colours or trends?
Textured items, layering, knit ties, wool flannel suit separates, cord, twill and herringbone jacketing with soft construction, the usual navys, greys, plus autumn checks with notes of green and tobacco.
5. If you could dress any celebrity in the world, who would it be?
6. Are men taking more pride in the way they drew and their grooming?
Definitely. I think primarily this comes from the greater access to information. Some prepare a classic tailored look, some go more for high fashion.
7. Favourite local bar?
Four in Hand.
8. Favourite local cafe?
9. Favourite local restaurant?
10. Favourite shopping destination?
The Intersection, Paddington, William St. Paddington, Queen St. Woollahra.